violence

Death of a New Born Child

Submitted by jpho on Tue, 2015-05-19 00:44

This idea of comparing two different types of children in society’s view with a colored child and a white child, comes in a big threat from the impact of one’s community. The community mainly portrays that the child is internally being taught this way of thinking about one race being more superior through the activities one family does in a household.

Quick Survey on School Shootings

Submitted by Fran Botto on Fri, 2015-04-17 22:32

Hi everyone I have a quick survey that needs responses for a research paper that I'm writing in my English class. It would be so helpful if you could take a minute to fill it out thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MjE6tP2IsO7pn3uiLagfjguztoBmPHlUn0Agu3V...

Hunting for the Wrong Reasons

Submitted by kreyes on Tue, 2015-03-24 01:35

In villages throughout Papua New Guinea, accusations are now brought to men just as brought to women. These villages disrupt their communities with accusation of witchcraft with the price of violence or death.

Dan Jorgensen, an anthropologist, has discovered seven cases of murder and attacks concerning with witchcraft accusations. In between the chaos of the villages, he has come to get the media’s attention and to interview victims and witness who experienced one of the the cases.

Violent Media Creates Violent Viewers

Submitted by Paultabish on Fri, 2015-03-20 14:23
Kids play video games

Is exposure to violent movies, video games, and t.v making people more violent? Video games have been increasing in violence for many years, and a study showed that 97% of 12-17 year olds play video games. As the violence has increased so has the number of people who are exposed to it. They are two sides to this argument. There are those who believe that violence in video games, movies and television are correlated with real life behavior and aggression, and those who say there is no correlation at all.

ISIS uncovered

Submitted by jsphstokes on Fri, 2015-02-27 15:25

The Islamic State has recently risen from obscurity to the forefront of global terrorism. Although most notorious for highly publicized beheadings and brutal campaigns against anyone they perceive as unfaithful to their perversion of Islam, they have recently perpetrated an entirely different crime. The group released footage on February 26 of militants smashing artifacts in at a Mosul Museum. The statues in question were thousands of years old, some dating back to the 7th century BC.

ISIS holds 150 Christians hostages, will threaten to kill them

Submitted by dashiell57 on Fri, 2015-02-27 13:24
ISIS beheading

There is a news article from CNN that explains in the title that "ISIS holds 150 Christians hostages, will threaten to kill them." This was reported by the founder of the Assyrian Human Rights Network, Osama Edward. Edward arises awareness that many innocent Christians are scared and need help. Most Americans believe this to be true, but the debate starts when it comes to if we are the ones that should try to help. It has become clear that ISIS feels as though it is appropriate to kill innocent people in attempt to achieve ultimate power in the Middle East.

Shooter

Submitted by Jacobi37 on Wed, 2015-01-14 22:11

I recently read the book Shooter by Walter Dean Myers. It is about a school shooting. Since we as a society have been having quite a few of these in the past few years, I feel like this book is relevant to our time period. It takes the reader through two interviews with Cameron Porter, who was the best friend of the shooter. It tells about how Cameron's life had lots of struggles and how Cameron's family life wasn't so perfect. The Shooter, Len, wrote a diary and that is put on display for the reader at the end of the book.

Domestic Violence In the NFL

Submitted by mikekearns on Mon, 2014-12-22 17:05

The NFL and its cases on domestic violence has emerged as one of the top stories of 2014. This all began in February of this year when Baltimore Raven's running back Ray Rice was arrested for violently attacking his fiancé. Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the National Football League, suspended Ray Rice for the first two games of the 2014-2015 season for his actions.

The Ferguson Situation

Submitted by dashiell57 on Thu, 2014-12-18 15:13
Protesters in Ferguson

One of the top stories of 2014 centered around the situation in Ferguson. Officer Wilson was found not guilty of murdering Michael Brown. Protests erupted all over the country, some violent and some not, in order to get a point across that black lives matter. When Officer Wilson was found not guilty of murder, I was not surprised. However, I was surprised that he wasn't charged with anything. The crime was not murder in my opinion, but it very well could have been manslaughter.

Paintings From The Cave: Man Of The Iron Heads

Submitted by Shania D on Wed, 2014-12-10 10:35

Man of the Iron Heads

Senior Research (Working) Thesis

Submitted by sayra bautista on Mon, 2014-11-17 13:12

Hi, my name is Sayra Bautista. I go to Fremont High School in Oakland, California. My topic for my senior research project is abortion. The problem is hundreds of thousands of women have abortions each year in the U.S., and communities should educate and inform every woman to reduce the abortion rate in the U.S, starting with mandatory sex education courses in middle school and high school. Also by reducing the rate of women having abortions, we could also stop anti-abortion violence.

I am looking to hearing any comment or feedback to make my thesis better.

THank you,

Bodega Dreams

Submitted by Carlos B on Thu, 2014-10-09 10:17

Will World Peace ever be gained

Submitted by 18chub on Sun, 2014-10-05 20:47

Will peace ever be gained? I believe that peace will never be gained. I think that the amount of violence in the world just keeps growing. When people see violence or are victims of violence, they pass the violence on. The cycle keeps continuing which is why the amount of violence keeps growing. I think that whatever we do just won’t be enough because of how high it has already gotten. Its part of human nature at this point which is a big problem. There isn't just one source for this problem it just comes from everywhere and you can’t shut down everything.

Racial profiling: From an African American perspective

Submitted by EMcgowan on Fri, 2014-09-26 14:01

My senior project topic is about racial profiling, and I chose this topic for my senior project because there have been so many deaths because of racial profiling, a lot of nationwide situations, and I've been through them myself.

Are You Exposed

Submitted by rosalinda.rico on Mon, 2014-09-15 03:23
External video: 
See video

At my school we are required to do a senior project based on research that we conduct on a social issue. When I heard this I narrowed my decisions down to two topics these were domestic violence and the effects of gangs in the community and youth. I finally decided to do my research on gangs as I feel like they play a role here in Oakland. A gang is defined as a “An organized group of criminals”. I think this can frankly be truth but also exaggerated. I choose this as my senior project because it’s a topic that has revolved around me my whole life as I grew up in the streets of Oakland, Ca.

Violence, Video Games, and Entertainment: Society's Ruin?

Submitted by CaitlinStanchfield on Sun, 2014-09-07 21:37

a. The question I am interested is: What effect do the violent images and messages portrayed in T.V., movies, video games, etc. have on today's society? I am interested in this topic because I am lover of media with action and violence and I don't feel like it has any affect on me but I have always been curious if it actually does without me realizing it.

You Play Video Games, You Might Become A Serial Killer

Submitted by TiannaEBCHS on Thu, 2014-06-12 12:15

In the NY Daily News editorial, “Video games can spark aggression” by Brad Bushman, the author make an argument that video games don’t cause children to commit violent murder sprees in, but they do spark aggression. Bushman states that other factors like the child’s upbringing, their mental state and even their gender contributes to the violence in children. He suggests one way to make the society better is by limiting the access to violent games, getting parents to ban them from their homes and tell their kids to avoid them.

A child called "It"

Submitted by Kadiatou on Mon, 2014-06-09 15:15

Dave, the protagonist in 'A child called "It"' has a few traits that influence her relationships with others.

One, he is strong. Two, he is miserable. Three, he is innocent.

Jordan Davis Essay

Submitted by vfarmer on Thu, 2014-05-22 16:05

Recently, in ELA class we've been studying about Jordan Davis. At first, I thought about Trayvon Martin’s case, because it was very similar to this case. When I read/heard about it on the handout from salon.com I started to think today’s society is losing many of our youth,due to gun violence. I know that many people feel that the stand your ground statute is the key to the cause of this murder and i totally agree.

Car Bomb Fails to Go Off in Times Square

Submitted by Peepers29 on Wed, 2014-04-30 15:30
Car bomb mid-explosion

In 2010, a car bomb was found in the middle of Times Square. Luckily this bomb didn't go off but if it had, the results could have been catastrophic. Times Square is a highly populated area and if the bomb had gone off, the number of deaths could have been huge. Over time the violence in this world has been rising, especially against the innocent. Attacks on American soil are nothing new, but they are growing rapidly. This blatant attack on the public is chilling because it makes you think how at any time, a terrorist attack could occur.

Violence In New York

Submitted by rodrigueznolan65 on Fri, 2014-04-04 09:51

When creating my concept map, I organized my data based on facts about my topic which is gangs of New York. At first I put facts about my topic then I added subtopics which were outcome/effects of gangs, recruitment, and peer pressure. I put these ideas in this order because it`s easier to understand and relates to what I am saying. For example, I put the deadliest gang in my concept map and explained how individuals get into the gang itself. Then on the side I put recruitment to represent how other gangs get their members.

Dear Mayor De Blasio: Let's make the Bronx Number One

Submitted by Tafari on Sat, 2014-03-22 15:49

Dear Mayor De Blasio,

My name is Tafari and I am a student in the Bronx. I want to extend my congratulations to you on your election and share with you one of the issues I think is very important: crime.

As you know for a big city, New York has a very low crime rate. Yet gun control is still a problem. It is especially a problem in my neighborhood.

Should prostitution be illegal?

Submitted by aflores on Sun, 2014-03-16 00:59
Negative sign

Prostitution should be illegal.If females want to be a prostitute then its their life and choice.Once I saw what prostitutes do on the streets then I was ashamed of what they are doing with their body’s.This should be illegal,but its not and no one cares about it.Some people think its okay for females to be prostitutes on the streets.I still think that prostitution should be illegal.

The Beginning Of Cults

Submitted by thompsona45 on Wed, 2014-02-26 13:48

In Newsweek Staff essay, "Doomsday Cults: 'Only The Beginning'," from Staff, Newsweek. "Doomsday Cults: 'Only The Beginning." Newsweek, March, 13th. 2010: 1, Print. The main idea of the text was to show all different cults, and what each cult did in the group. Some cults made their own prophecies, and other cults kill through mass suicide.

EBSCO: Kids and the effects of video games

Submitted by NMMarron on Wed, 2014-02-19 12:27
Aggression with Video Games

10% of video games sold are rated mature, which means you must be 17 to purchase it. It's very easy for kids under the age of 17 to get video games. No laws have been passed to restrict kids under the age of 17 from playing video games. Like buying alcohol for kids or buying cigarettes for kids is not okay or legal, buying M rated games is not okay in Rod Blagojevich opinion. Video games are protected in the first amendment so any laws restricting them will be hard to pass.

A Violent Powerhouse

Submitted by Peepers29 on Thu, 2014-02-06 13:21
This represents the vast amount of wealth cartels control

Through my research I have found an alarm number of confirmations regarding how much control the drug cartels of the world really have. The first and possibly most alarming piece of data I came across was a New York Times article talking about how three high ranking military generals were just detained for corruption. This is extremely alarming because it shows how much control the criminal organizations truly have over their domains. Not only are these cartels able to sway their police, (who work on a more local level) but the military whose whole purpose is to protect the entire country.

“Fruitvale"

Submitted by kvillatoro on Thu, 2013-12-05 14:53

Hi, my name is Karla Villatoro I'm 17 years old and I live in Oakland. In my English class we are finishing reading Native Son which is about a African American male name Bigger Thomas and it talks about his life and how he got to the point of killing females and how he got to hide it all but then everything came afloat. On Friday we as a class will be going to go watch "fruitvale Station" and what we have to do is pay attention but also try to connect with it in a lot of ways.

Shelter by Harlan Coben

Submitted by akbalydi on Thu, 2013-11-14 13:19

Shelter
By Harlan Coben
Have you ever experience something that changed your life forever? Have you ever found out something you weren't suppose to know? Like a juicy secret? All of this happened to Mickey Bolitar. He was an average teenager until his life flipped upside down forever.

Effects of violence in Michoacán on families emotionally

Submitted by ihernandez on Mon, 2013-11-11 13:34

Hello readers, my name is Ivan Hernandez Hernandez and my senior project thesis at this moment is: effects of violence in Michoacán on families emotionally. I really need help refining my thesis so that it sounds better and makes more sense. I would really appreciate the help.

Animal Farm

Submitted by Peepers29 on Sun, 2013-10-13 21:08

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

A book review of George Orwell's "Animal Farm"