Youth Voices Summer Program: Connected Learning with the New York City Writing Project at Lehman College, July 8 - 25, 2013

Find discussion posts and comments by our students and teachers by following the links on their profile pages.

Comments encouraged.

Follow our Daily Agendas for this three-week summer program. Check the Open Badges we are making.

Join our our Google+ Community and follow our work there.

Youth Voices Summer Program Students and Teachers

Find the discussion posts and comments by our students and teachers
by following the links on their profile pages. Comments encouraged!

A

Aliyah Hayes

Alondra

Amori

Areeg

B

Barbara

D

Daisy

E

Eva

G

Grace Raffaele

Griffina Blake

H

Hamilton

Helena

J

Jackelin

Jim Nordlinger

K

Karen Fasimpaur

M

Maria Lam

Marina Lombardo

Mario

N

Nancy Rinaldi

Noah Gordon

P

Parveen

Paul Allison

Q

QuaNajae

T

Telia

Youth Voices Summer Program 2013 from paulallison on Vimeo.

New York City Writing Project

Youth Voices 2013 Summer Program

AGENDAS (in reverse chronological order)

Photos: Creative Commons with Some Rights Reserved by Grace Raffaele

Day 12 – July 24, 2013 

Roundtables

Plase do #5, below before you come to your roundtalbe.

9:00 - 9:40

9:45 - 10:10

10:15 - 10:55

11:00 - 11:40

11:45 - 12:30

When you are not in a roundtable:

1. 8:45 – 9:00 Breakfast and Open Exploraton

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment: Google Hangout or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What connections are you making with people and ideas? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 - 10:00 Tools Workshop

Add your badges to Mozilla Backpack backpack.openbadges.org 

Create a Youth Voices Collection, and make it public.

Go go the page and add make a link on your profile, next to your My Journal link. The HTML for your link will look like this: 

<a href="http://backpack.openbadges.org/share/ec673c5f8974ef1622bd54cd202e32e1/" target="_blank">My Badges</a>

4. 9:45 - 12:30 Self-Directed Projects 

Badges for this Summer

Mozilla Backpack backpack.openbadges.org 

Open Badge Designer openbadges.me

The Noun Project thenounproject.com

P2PU Badges badges.p2pu.org 

Badges By Us & 4 US - youthvoices.net/badgessummer2013 

GO DEEPER with your research

Find articles of more complexity. Upload them into the Youth Voices Crocodoc folder and annotate them.
Find thoughtful/scholarly videos (e.g. TED talks) or podcasts (e.g. NPR) about your inquiry, and upload one into Popcorn. Watch, and begin to add pop-ups (like annotating a text.) 

Reclaiming Your Topic - Follow the steps here: youthvoices.net/reclaim and post one more time about your inquiry

Apply for 2 or more Badges, link to work you've been doing this summer that is important to you! Describe that work and say what you might have done differently.

Give feedback and recognition by giving each other badges.

Post cards, publication, and tee shirts.

5. Commenting & Connecting: Reflections in the Google+ Community - "Final Reflections"

What's one thing you want to remember from the Youth Voices Summer Program?
Which students would you like to recognize, and what do you wnat to thank them for?

What badge did you make? How did it represent something important for you this summer?
What badges did you apply for? What was important for you about the activities represented by those badges?

How did you work this summer in ways that were different than in school?
How might you bring some of your experiences from this summer back to school?

Now what are you noticing?
Now what do are some of your dreams that you want to make come true?
Now what connections to ideas and people are you making?
Now what awesome things do you want to do?

11:30 LUNCH

6. 12:30 - 1:00 This program's final moments.

Day 11 – July 24, 2013 

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 - 11:45 Self-Directed Projects 

Badges for this Summer

Open Badge Designer openbadges.me

The Noun Project thenounproject.com

P2PU Badges badges.p2pu.org 

GO DEEPER with your research

4.  11:45 - 12:15 Practice reading in your groups

5. 12:30 - 3:00 BronxNet/Lehman Studios

Day 10 – July 23, 2013 

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: Names with New Adjectives (Given by the Group)

10:00 – 10:15 Break

4. 10:15 – 10:45 Tools Workshop: Badges for this Summer

Mozilla Backpack backpack.openbadges.org - log in

Open Badge Designer openbadges.me

The Noun Project thenounproject.com

P2PU Badges badges.p2pu.org Submit your badges to your backpack.

Badges By Us & 4 US - youthvoices.net/badgessummer2013 Applying for a Badge

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects 

GO DEEPER with your research

Reclaiming Your Topic - Follow the steps here: youthvoices.net/reclaim and post one more time about your inquiry

Apply for a Badge, link to work you've been doing this summer that is important to you! Describe that work and say what you might have done differently.

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: Find new posts by people in your group and write comments

Day 9 – July 22, 2013 

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: 

One thing you did thiis weekend that makes you feel good about yourself. 
An Upset 

10:00 – 10:15 Break

Open Badge Designer openbadges.me

The Noun Project thenounproject.com

P2PU Badges badges.p2pu.org

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects 

GO DEEPER with your research

Make a Badge, describing something you've been doing this summer that is important to you!

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: 

More comments on Youth Voices - See this guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment

1:00 - 1:30 Teachers Lunch

1:30 - 3:00 Opening up Curriculum with Karen Fasimpaur

Day 8 – July 18, 2013 

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  Try it as a Google Hangout! or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.
What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: One thing you hope to do this weekend

10:00 – 10:15 Break

5. 10:15 – 11:45 Self-Directed Projects 

GO DEEPER with your research

6. 11:45 - 12:15 Commenting & Connecting Comment on our Google+ community under "Week 2 Reflections." Reply to each others' comments/

7. 12:15 – 1:00 Week 2 Readaround: Read something you have written this week or last week.
ANYTHING - freewrite, comment, as short or as long as you want.

Day 7 – July 17, 2013 

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: 

Add two Extentions to Chrome on your computer. See Paul's post in our Google+ Community under "Q & A about Tools" http://goo.gl/SqI53
Add any other questions you have or links to answers you've found about tools to "Q & A about Tools" in our Google+ Community.

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  
What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome? (Try it as a Google Hangout! or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.)

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: One thing/Upset

10:00 – 10:15 Break

4. 10:15 – 10:45 Tools Workshop:
Finding Creative Commons images, and adding them to a Discussion Post. Giving credit.
Using CiteThisForMe.com to add a reference to Discussion posts.

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects 

Choose from this menu:

Finish a discussion post about the first article you annotated for you inquiry question.
Comment and Reply on a discussion post by someone in your group ... and beyond your group.

GO DEEPER with your research

More comments on Youth Voices - See this guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment

Teachers: 

1:00 - 1:30  Lunch

1:30 - 1:40  What are you bringing that we haven't tapped yet? What do you need? What questions must get answered?

1:40 - 2:40  Make, Write, Talk, Do 

2:40 - 3:00  Present to the group what you are working on as a teacher

Day 6 – July 16, 2013 

Connect Google+ Hangouts-on-Air with your YoutTube (This should work now.)

What have you been noticing?
What dreams are you making come true?

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: Freeze-Frame Sculpture

As a group, design a still scene or a short series of still scenes that show your subject so that others will be able to identify it from what you show.

You will be given ONE general category to represent as a group.
You need to decide, as a group, what specific item in that group you will portray.

A few musts:
Your statue/s must be something in the topic area you are given
No sounds… you are a statue or short series of statues
Everyone must have a part in the creation
You have 5 minutes to plan this

Group 1 - Something in NATURE
Group 2 - A HOLIDAY
Group 3 - An EMOTION
Group 4 - A form of TRANSPORTATION
Group 5 - A FOOD

10:00 – 10:15 Break

4. 10:15 – 10:45 Tools Workshop:

Finding Creative Commons images.
Sign up for P2PU.org and confirm in your email. 
Sign in for your Open Badges Backpack - backpack.openbadges.org

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects: Badges SEE OUR BADGES

Guest Facilitator: Vanessa Gennarelli - Learning Lead at Peer-to-Peer Universtity.

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: Reflections in the Google+

Badges!
What do you understand about open badges now?
How do you make a badge on P2PU?
What's important to know about making badges?
Now what kinds of badges can you imagine making for yourself and for each other for this summer program?  

Day 5 – July 15, 2013

1. 8:45 – 9:00 Community Building: One Thing / Book Cover 

2. 9:00 – 9:15 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.

What have you been noticing?
What dreams are you making come true?
What are you doing that's awesome? 

3. 9:15 - 9:30 Discussing the Trayvon Tragedy/Zimmerman Verdict https://paulallison.makes.org/popcorn/18sd

4. 9:30- 11:00 Self-Directed Projects

Find an article, news item or blog post, put it in the YV Crocodoc folder, Annotate it, Write about it, and Publish as a Discussion. Details here on P2PU - http://goo.gl/j198p

Find a Wikipedia article, a current news item, or a blog post related to your research question. Upload a PDF in Crocodoc, then read and annotate every paragraph with questions, opinions, reactions. In a Doc, write, using the Basic Non-Fiction or Wikipedia Response Guide, then Post as a Discussion.

11:00 – 11:15 Break

5. 11:15 – 11:45 Commenting & Connecting: 

Comment on a Youth Voices Discussion just published by a member of your group. Use Comment Guides: General Discussion or Agree/Disagree to write 5-paragraph comments.

6. 11:45 – 12:15 Tools Workshop:

Check out Popcorn on Webmaker.org

7. 12:15 - 1:00 Open Exploration 

Day 4 – July 11, 2013

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: Connect Google+ Hangouts-on-Air with your YoutTube (This should work now.) Add two Extentions to Chrome on your computer. See Paul's post in our Google+ Community under "Q & A about Tools" http://goo.gl/SqI53

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  What have you been noticing? What dreams are you making come true? What connections are you making with people and ideas? What are you doing that's awesome? (Try it as a Google Hangout! or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.)

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: Person Search

10:00 – 10:15 Break

4. 10:15 – 10:45 Tools Workshop:

Copy the link to your "My Journal" Doc from your your profile page.
Create an account at Mozilla Webmaker. https://webmaker.org/
Use HTML to create a link in Thimble, and copy code.
Paste the code at the bottom of your three-paragraph Bio.

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects: Find an article, news item or blog post, put it in the YV Crocodoc folder, Annotate it, Write about it, and Publish as a Discussion. THEN... comment on a group member's post. Details here on P2PU - http://goo.gl/j198p

Find a Wikipedia article, a current news item, or a blog post related to your research question. Print it or upload a PDF in Crocodoc, then read and annotate every paragraph with questions, opinions, reactions. In a Doc, write, using the Basic Non-Fiction or Wikipedia Response Guide, then Post as a Discussion.

Comment on a Youth Voices Discussion just published by a member of your group. Use Comment Guides: General Discussion orAgree/Disagree to write 5-paragraph comments.

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: First Week Reflections in the Google+

What have you been remembering and understanding?
How have you been working to achieve your goals?
Which of the activities from this week were the most meaningful, challenging, thought-provoking, helpful... for you?
Now what can you imagine doing--the rest of this program, in the Fall, and into lifr--with the skills, strategies, habits that you've been practicing?

Day 3 – July 10, 2013

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: Connect Google+ Hangouts-on-Air with your YoutTube

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  What have you been noticing? What dreams are you making come true? What connections are you making with people and ideas? What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: MicroLab - What have you been noticing? What dreams are you making come true? What connections are you making with people and ideas? What are you doing that's awesome?

4. 10:00 – 10:30 Tools Workshop: Copy the link from your "My Journal" Doc onto your profile page. Open for questions.

10:30 – 10:45 Break

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects: Follow-up onProfile: Writing, Image, Questions (see Page 3 in folder)

3-Paragraph Bio

Type your bio into a Google Doc and share with Grace, Paul, and one other.
Copy and paste your Bio onto it on your Youth Voices Profile page. (If there is time, record your Bio.)

Avatar/Icon

Create an image to represent you using Google Drawing.
Download as a JPG, then upload it into your profile on Youth Voices.

10 Self/10 World Questions   (see Page 4/5 in folder or YV) 

Type in a new Doc called "My Journal"
Make a list of keywords for each of your questions

Commenting on Youth Voices

Search for your topic on Youth Voices
Comment on student posts
Use the Commenting Guides  (see Page 10 in folder or Guides on Youth Voices)

WORK IN GROUPS

Reply to comments from members of your group
Read and talk to each other about your Profiles.
Share three-part freewrites and add notes in Google Docs. 

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: What was it like working in a group? Share your thoughts in the Google+ Community about which grouping works best for your question. Where do you think it fits? Why? Where else might it fit and why? Talk about what you have done so far this summer. How you have been working. Which parts of our work together have been the most meaningful to you? And Now what do you want to accomplish this summer?

Teachers: Google+ Reflectioins/Pannel Discussion/Crocodoc 

1:00 - 1:30  Lunch

1:30 - 1:55 Please reflect on the morning (on our Google+ Community Youth Voices Summer Program)

What did you notice about yourself or the students?
What are you thinking related to the work we have begun?
What questions have come up for you?

Write Replies to each other.

1:55 - 2:20  Practice Panel about Youth Voices, use of questions, personal inquiry...

2:20 - 2:50  Add a document to Crocodoc - About Connected Learning or some other aspect of our work here together.

2:50 - 3:00  Process as a group

Day 2 – July 9, 2013

1.   8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: Register and explore Google+ and the Youth Voices Summer Program Community – Connect Hangouts-on-Air with YouTube

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment: Day 1 Reflection – What connections are you making with people and ideas? (Do this in the Youth Voices Summer Program Community on Google+.)

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: Line up in alphabetical order by first name. No talking, writing, hand symbols.

4. 10:00 – 10:30 Tools Workshop: Set up a Journal on one Google Document

Insert a Table of Contents.
Make public and Publish to the Web.

10:30 – 10:45 Break

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects: Finish working on your Profile, Avatar, and the Questions

Five keywords for each of your questions: Look for connections and repeat keywords where they apply

Guidelines for focusing-in toward an inquiry question

Create a new Google Doc – Make your title your question.
Choose 2, 3 or 4 questions that seem to want to be together
Type these into the Google Doc

We will Freewrite with Focused Questions together three times. http://youthvoices.net/freewriting

Make your title a Final Question
Write keywords for this new or revised question

6.   12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting

Group Question Grouping: Write your final question on two strips of poster paper.  

Separate into 2 groups: Line up alphabetically again A-G 234 / H-T 230

Each group organizes the sentence strips into thematic categories
Give a thematic title to each group of questions

Day 1 – July 8, 2013

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: Activate a Google Apps account at http://email.ndssonline.org (See handout for your username and password.)

2. 9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  What have you been noticing? (Paper or Docs)

3. 9:45 – 10:00 Community Building: Ball-Toss – Name Game

4. 10:00 – 10:30 Tools Workshop Google Docs and Drawing - Youth Voices Profile and Bio Page 

Share your Google Doc with pallison@ndssonline.org, graffaele@ndssonline.org and one other person
Learn how to add an avatar to your Profile (see Page 6 in folder or YV)

10:30 – 10:45 Break

5. 10:45 – 12:15 Self-Directed Projects: Profile: Writing, Image, Questions (see Page 3 in folder)

3-Paragraph Bio

Write on paper, and then we’ll hear a line from each.

Avatar/Icon

10 Self/10 World Questions   (see Page 4/5 in folder or YV) 

Type in a new Doc.
Embed this Doc into your Profile
Choose ONE to explore further
Make a list of keywords to expand your search

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: Exploring Youth Voices

Search for your topic on Youth Voices
Comment on student posts

Process 
What was your question?
What was it like to read and comment?

Teachers: Google+ communites/Wall Talk/Crocodoc 

1:00 - 1:45  Lunch (longer than usual)

1:45 - 1:55  Please reflect on the morning (on our Google+ Community Youth Voices Summer Program)

What questions have come up for you?

1:55 - 2:10  Share - each person shares one thing

2:10 - 2:20  Wall Talk - Write comments on quotes and infographics about inquiry and connected learning.

2:20 - 2:25  Wall Talk - Respond to others’ wall posts

2:25 - 2:50  Continue Wall Talk on Crocodoc 

2:50 - 3:00  Process as a group