Will I cheer into the Future?

by: McKennaC

McKenna Cross

Written Summary
For this project I included many YouTube videos of myself, as well as one video I found that really made me feel the love for the sport of cheerleading. First of all the videos of me we’re bits and pieces of different videos of competitions as well as videos from practices. They incorporate into my project because; it shows my love, hard work, and dedication I put into this sport. My project is all about cheerleading and how it has changed my life.
The other video I incorporated into my project was a video I found on YouTube that is called “How Winners Are Made.” The video has a speech that was said by Gary Raser. The speech says “Life is tough, that’s a given. When you stand up, you’re going to be shoved back down. When you’re down, you’re going to be stepped on. My advice to you doesn’t come with a lot of bells and whistles. It’s no secret, you’ll fall down, you stumble, you get pushed, you land square on your face. And every time that happens, you get back on your feet. You get up just as fast as you can, no matter how many times you need to do it. Remember this, success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time than you’ve been knocked down. If experience has taught me anything, it’s that nothing is free and living ain’t easy. Life is hard, real hard, incredibly hard. You fail more often than you win, nobody is handing you anything. It’s up to you to puff up your chest, stretch your neck and overcome all that is difficult, the nasty, the mean, the unfair. You want more than what you have now, PROVE IT! You wanna be the very best out there that is, get out there and earn it! Once you decide that, you’ll know where it is you want to be, then you won’t stop pushing forward until you get there! That’s how winners are made. At the end of the day, success is what we all want. We all want to win, and the race will be won. There is no question about that. So c’mon, get out on top, run faster, dream bigger, live better than you ever have before. This is in you. You can do this. Do it for yourself. Prove it to yourself!” As the speech is said there is video footage of different cheerleaders falling, dropping stunts, getting injured , as well as videos of cheerleaders winning, hitting perfect routines, and coming out on top. This video was incorporated into my project because, the speech is very inspirational and explains how much of a passion and how hard cheerleading is and it gives me motivation to work harder, and to be better.
The passages I chose from the book “The Things They Carried” are included in my project because, it talks about cheerleading a cheerleaders. I’m also reading “The Blind Side” as well and one quote I found in the book was “Parcells believed Taylor’s greatness was an act of will, a refusal to allow the world to understand him as anything less than great. “That’s why I loved him so much,” he said. “He responded to anything that threatened his status.”” This quote goes great with my project because, I can imagine one of my cheer coaches saying something similar to that about me. I work incredibly hard and I never settle for anything less than great when it comes to cheerleading. Another quote I found from “The Blind Side” was “I mean any fool has courage. But honor, that’s the reason you do something or you don’t.” I chose this quote because i have honor to be a cheerleader as well as courage to flip and twist in the air and land on my feet, or throw a 100 pound girl in the air and hold her up there and if she were to come down I have the courage to dive under her and catch her so she doesn’t hit the ground. That’s what cheerleaders do.
I included a couple different songs into my project. The first one I included was the beginning of a song sung by Eminem. The song is called “Till’ I Collapse” at the beginning he says “'Cause sometimes you just feel tired, feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up. But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength And just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.” This quote is very inspiring to me and gives me that motivation to keep pushing forward no matter how much I want to quit. This is one of the songs I listen to before I compete. The other song I put into my project was a song called “Remember The Name.” Which is another song that I listen to before I compete. The chorus goes “This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain, and one hundred percent reason to remember the name.” I relate this song a lot to cheerleading because those lyrics is what cheerleading is all about.

Back to the speech “This Is How Winners Are Made” was one of the interviews I found that connects to my theme. Its a very inspirational speech and gives me motivation! It was a reputable source because he is famous for that speech. I found some quotes from other cheerleaders, and cheerleading coaches I found as well. The first one I found was, “It doesn't matter what people think about cheerleading, if its something that you love to do, than thats all that counts.” This quote was said by Jade Barbourville. This relates to my theme because it's about cheerleading and the quote states that if you love something then that's all that matters and it doesn't matter what others think about it. The second quote I found was “Cheer as hard as you can, be the best you can at what you do because, remember if you don’t think you’re good, there’s always a little girl looking up to you thinking she wants to be just like you.” This quote relates to me and my theme because, besides being a cheerleader, I’m also a coach. I coach the younger girls and everyday I walk into the gym and I’m surrounded by little girls that look up to me as a role model. It’s a really good feeling being able to hear “McKenna! McKenna! Look what I can do!” or “She’s really good, I wish I could tumble like her.” or “I wanna be just like you when I grow up.” there isn’t anything that makes me happier than to see 6, 7, 8 year old cheerleaders look up to me. The last quote I found was said by George Karadimas and he said “When you think you can’t push yourself any further, reach down and pull out what makes you proud to be a cheerleader and show them what you’re made of.” This quote really makes me think of when I’m having a really hard or really bad practice I always think about how much I love what I do and makes me push myself harder. I’m proud to call myself a cheerleader. It’s so much harder than people give it credit for and that makes me want to prove everyone wrong.

This project has made me realize a lot of things. First it has made me realize that I really do love what I do and cheering and the next level, like in college is what I want to do. Second I have learned that if you really love something and you really have a passion for something you will have the motivation to push through any obstacle that you run into no matter how hard it is. You will be dedicated, devoted, and committed to what ever it is you want you just have to find the fight and it will be worth it in the end. I’ve learned that hard work does pay off. It gets frustrating, hard, and painful. You fall down but you find the fight to get back up and try again. You make mistakes, but you still keep going. You get pushed to your limits and you just want to quit, but you find that motivation to not give up and not be a quitter. That’s what this project has taught me. If you have a drive to do something you will do it. It’s not easy, its just worth it.