Why do cops abuse thier authority?

by: dandan

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been police misconduct. I remember my friend’s mother talking about it when her brother got severely beaten by a cop for asking why they were arresting him, but during that moment I really didn’t care because no one in my neighborhood liked cops so I thought it didn’t matter. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that police misconduct is a very serious crime going around in the country. From what I have heard, government officials are not taking police misconduct seriously. For example, I heard that cops arrest or beat people if they don’t do what they want, sexually. Now that is just what I’ve heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about police misconduct is that is happening all around the world. Now, I’ve studied my share of police misconduct, and I believe it is bad because police are supposed to protect the people not severely injure them or kill them, these actions brings mistrust between the people and the police. Personally, it is funny to me how government officials have not done anything after videos going viral of cops severely hurting people for no reason.

Police misconduct was not important to me before until it happened to one of my closest friends.

Being that I did not have a lot of background information on police misconduct. I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: “Police power in New York.” This article provided a lot of information and opinions on Police misconduct. Some people felt that police misconduct is wrong and inappropriate towards people. “A lawsuit filed last week raises troubling allegations that officers pre-emptively arrested three people more than a dozen blocks away from a protest to stop them from attending.” This statement did not really surprise me all that much, but it did upset me. I am upset because how can cops just arrest a person a “dozen blocks always” for no apparent reason, just because they were going to the Wall Street protest.

In another article: “Abuse of Police Powers.” One statement made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “Policemen are supposed to be keepers of the peace, but they have enlarged their fancied duties until they seem to have quite forgotten that they are merely citizens appointed to maintain order, and pose as regulators of the social economy of the streets, even in the most trifling matters.” This is so true because I also do believe cops are just regular people just like the people they mistreat, and they are not special just because they get a little power by the government, so they shouldn’t be mistreating others.

In another article: “Race, police brutality allegations rock Alabama City.” One statement made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “week of a video recording showing a group of white police officers hitting an African-American man accused of attempting to steal a car.” This statement in my opinion is so true and at the same time racist because the cops never saw him trying to break into a car they accused him of trying to break into a car and beat him severely partially because he was black.

In another article, I researched: “North Chicago police have history of complaints with little discipline.” One statement made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “he resisted, tried to swallow something and almost bit an officer's hand. That prompted them to punch him three times in the face, put him in a headlock, grab his arm in an "arm bar" to force him to the ground and pepper-spray him.” This statement in my opinion is so true because if a cops is arresting a person, and the person starts to move, it doesn’t mean he or she is trying to hurt the cop maybe the person is just uncomfortable in the position it’s in, but no! cops don't think like that their first instinct is to beat the person down till he or she can't breathe or see no more.

Lastly, in another article: “Eyewitness to Miami Beach shooting alleges police misconduct.” One statement made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “"When he noticed me recording, one of the officers jumped in the truck, put a pistol to my head," he said. "My phone was smashed - he stepped on it, handcuffed me." ” This statement in my opinion helps prove my point that police misconduct is wrong because how can a cop put a pistol to a person’s head, break his phone and tell him to get out the car just for recording cops shooting someone in a car.

From all the information, I have researched and gathered police misconduct has been happening all around the country and is still going on. These information that I have gathered proves that cops have been given rights to do whatever they want to people they think are doing something bad, but actually are not. All these actions by cops makes me now think that cops cannot be trusted because now most cops want to hurt people instead of peacefully handcuffing them, they rather beat them to a pulp until they cannot move.

Work Cited:
Editorial. “Police Powers in New York.” The New York Times. 17 Mar. 2012. 3 Apr. 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/police-powers-in-new-yo...

Cooper WIlliams, Samuel. “Abuse of Police Powers.” Dead Anarchist. 3 Apr. 2012
http://www.deadanarchists.org/cooper.html

Silverlieb, Alan. “Race,police brutality allegations rock Alabama City.” CNN Justice. 01 Apr. 2011 3 Apr. 2012
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-01/justice/alabama.police.beating_1_poli...

McCoppin, Robert. Hinkel,Dan. “North Chicago police have history of complaints with little discipline.” Chicago Tribune. 10 Feb. 2012.11 Mar. 2012
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-10/news/ct-met-north-chicago-...

McConnell, Dugald. Todd, Brian. “Eyewitness to Miami Beach shooting alleges police misconduct.” CNN Justice. 07 Jun. 2011. 11 Mar. 2012
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-07/justice/florida.shooting.witness_1_of...

Responce

Submitted by giselled on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:20.

Dear Daniel :

I was intrigued by your essay “Why do cops abuse their authority?” because i believe its a good question and something to really focus on. These are the people who protect us around our neighborhood yet some are taking advantage of us. Why aren't they being stopped or why isnt there an investigation going on so we can gain that confidence when we walk outside and have the feeling of being safe.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Personally, it is funny to me how government officials have not done anything after videos going viral of cops severely hurting people for no reason.” I think this is frustrating and hurtful because so many videos are all over the internet of cops abusing their authority. Its scary to think that if you get stopped by cops they might just hurt you for no reason and nobody wants to walk around scared of cops and scarred of the bad people who do bad things. Shouldnt there be some kind of operation going on to stop these pigs from thinking they have all the power in the world. What is the government doing to keep us safe and secure?

Another sentence that i caught my attention was “. .if a cops is arresting a person, and the person starts to move, it doesn’t mean he or she is trying to hurt the cop maybe the person is just uncomfortable in the position it’s in, but no! cops don't think like that their first instinct is to beat the person down till he or she can't breathe or see no more.” This stood out for me because it is very true. Cops don't think things through correctly, they think any person they arrest has done something wrong. Yes i know its your job and in some situations you don’t really have time to analyze things but just because someone is wiggling a little bit does not mean they deserve a cop to kneel them on the stomach or a punch in the face. And if me or anybody else is asking why we are getting arrested we should have the right to know not the right to get cursed at or screamed at because there ways to speak to a human being. We don’t deserve to be treated as animals when we have done nothing. And why cops who arrested the wrong people and have hurt others haven’t lost their jobs ??!!

Your post reminds me of something that happened to a friend at school. He got mistaken by someone else and the cops were harassing him, cursing at him and he was so confused. And those cops should of been suspended or something because it wasn't right. They got the wrong person maybe because they just assumed it was my friend who did the crime. And most of the times is a racist situation or even if u give cops a bad look you best believe your going to be on that ground laying on the ground with your face all over the pavement.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because someday this shall be a movement and all these corrupt cops need this privilege taken away from them because they are abusing their authority.

im glad i came across this

Submitted by shatiat on Tue, 2012-04-17 09:13.

im glad i came across this post about police officers and they way they carry themselves when they have they're badges on.

i think police officers tend to over-due they're jobs sometimes or take things to an extent that is unnecessary. one sentence that stood out to me is "no one in my neighborhood". i can relate to this because me myself is not a fan of the NYPD along with my peers. this feeling that everyone has towards cops didnt just appear out of no where , its a solid reaon why mostly everyone has a problems with cops.

since before back in the days, police where abusing people and getting away with it just because they're officers of the law. police killing is at its highest to me just for the simple fact that police can claim that the suspect that they're arresting is resisting arrest or they feel they are getting threatened so they either use pepper spray, unnecessary force, or guns to control the person.

this reminds me of the time when my friends were getting arrested for fitting a discribtion. they were slammed on the floor, kicked, punched for fitting a discription and not even doing anything.

thanks for writing, i can see alot of people relate to the subject when it comes to police officers.