Trayvon Martin

Submitted by kiseemp on Thu, 2012-03-29 12:40

I was intrigued while reading "Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent" by Anthony Turner. I found this article very informing and helpful. I found out a lot of things I didn't know, and I felt sympathy towards Trayvon Martin and his family.

I'm learning more about the recent killing of Trayvon and what I'm wondering is exactly what Anthony Turner talks about and points out in his article. This article sparked my attention mainly because of the title and the situation that occurred, being that a young black male, who had his whole life ahead of him lost his life, and the man who did it is still on the streets. Those happen to be the sad facts, which is why so many people and family members are enraged about the killing.

In this article Anthony Turner makes a lot of points that actually make sense unlike George Zimmerman. He states “As a young black male myself, I sometimes get the sense that other people judge me on my appearance." This quote I chose here is basically saying that being a young black male is not easy or fair especially when people are prejudiced and use racial profiles on others.

I think this is a great quote because it's so true, and being an African-American myself, I can relate as well. I feel like sometimes when people see my race, they act like I'm about to rob them or hurt them for no reason and their prejudice makes them intimidate themselves.

Another sentence that Turner wrote that stood out for me is: “Looking suspicious in someones eyes shouldn't give that person the right to put hands on you or shoot you in the chest.” This sentence is so true. There should be no reason to put your hands on someone or shoot anyone because they look intimidating or suspicious, especially if they're not doing anything to you. There is no way to justify something like that, and there should be no law that tries to or does.

The last sentence I liked was where Turner said, “Even if you are feeling threatened, it seems ridiculous to follow the person who is scaring you.” This stood out for me because it's so true. Why would you follow someone who is “scaring” you unless you have intentions are on harming them? It just doesn't sound logical.

I very much agree with Anthony Turner and his above quotes. The reason I say this is because he addresses a lot of the questions and comments that I previously had. He also does it in an honest respectable manner. What I appreciate about Turner's work is the honesty, the facts, the truth, and his ambition.

Source:
Schulten, K. 2012. On Trayvon Martin: A Guest Post From a Teenager, and Some Teaching Suggestions. The New York Times, [online] 26 March. Available at: http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p... [Accessed 26 March 2012].

This essay was posted as a comment on the NY Times Learning Blog: http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p...

I enjoyed your passage a lot

Submitted by katiestefanich on Tue, 2012-04-03 15:40.

I enjoyed your passage a lot because it informed me more of what was going on in the Travyon Martin case. I was unaware of a lot of what had been going on before I read this. Thank you so much for informing me of the injustice that is being served upon the Martin family. You really pointed out the important parts of the New York Times article so that I could understand the article more. Thanks!

Thank you for reading my

Submitted by kiseemp on Wed, 2012-04-04 12:21.

Thank you for reading my passage. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and also that I could help you understand more what you couldn't. The article did the same thing for me, but it good that I could share the knowledge that I got from Turner's work to help someone else like yourself. I feel like Turner really pointed out a lot of thing that people may have been thinking or wanted to know about the case and im happy that he helped me help you.

Trayvon Martin

Submitted by oelsner20 on Wed, 2012-04-04 12:02.

I really liked what you wrote because of the stance you took. Recently, there have been people on the other side of the Trayvon Martin case saying it was his own fault. I don't think wearing a hood should cause someone, or in this case Zimmerman, to feel his life is in danger. I agree that what Zimmerman did by following Trayvon Martin doesn't seem to really "add up", and hopefully all of the true details about this tragic story will come out.

Thanks

Submitted by kiseemp on Wed, 2012-04-04 12:30.

I'm glad that you enjoyed reading my passage. I just want to say that the people who feel like Trayvon martin was to cause for his own death sound really stupid. Was Trayvon the one who shot himself in the chest? besides Zimmerman is the one making up stories to the police as well as the media? I don't think so. Anyway like you said and just like its happening now, the true details are coming out, little by little. Soon there will be enough evidence to put Zimmerman behind bars where he belongs, but i just don't know whats taking so long.