The Spartan Way of Life

by: J.O.B.

The Spartans Way of Life

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been the Spartan way of life. I remember my brother and I were talking about it the other day, but I didn't have time to research it. Lately, the this topic has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that Spartans are the best soldiers in history. From what I have heard, The Spartans were more than just being the best soldiers even though that was one of their focuses.

One thing that I know for sure about Spartans way of life is that there accomplishments and radical ideas played a big the worlds history. Now, I've studied my share of the history and I believe some of the Spartan ideas are reasonable and could be improved to implemented in the modernized world.

The Spartans way of life is harsh but simple. Sparta was bred to believe that they were the descendants of Hercules (a half god, half mortal figure who represented invincible strength) himself. The men from birth were carefully inspected by an elder. Analyzing if the child were to be deformed, or did not have physical traits of a warrior. If any child had a error they were left behind, or in other words killed them. Then at the age of seven the Spartan men are separated from their families and underwent rigorous military training and education until they were 18. After the spartan’s 18th birthday he is mandated to military service. However the spartan would live among his brothers at arms until the age of 30. By this age the spartan can have his citizen freedoms. Such as owning a house and having a wife.

The article “Growing up in Sparta” written by Joe Emery was a very useful tool for my research on the Spartan way of life. He provided information on how the Spartans made their perfect soldiers and how did they live in their society. Emery also describes the spartan government and how it ran as well as their reputation in Ancient Greece.

All of this information that Emery provide makes me think what if the Spartan society still existed would they have stuck to their traditions of being only a military state. I also ask myself what if the United States implemented these rules for her male youth today, where would we be compared to other Nations around the world.

Sparta and America?

Submitted by robric on Mon, 2012-03-05 22:04.

Dear Jeremy,

I liked your post “The Spartan Way of Life,” because you give a bunch of information on the Spartan people. I think that maybe if the Spartan way of life was still around that they will probably stay as a military state, but also advance in technology and culture so that they could be updated in how the world is being controlled today.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Then at the age of seven the Spartan men are separated from their families and underwent rigorous military training and education until they were 18.” I think this is harsh, but I understand why it was necessary. As you said in your post, the Spartan people believed that they were descendants of Hercules, so they had to be ready and strong when ever a war hit.

Another sentence that I liked was: “I also ask myself what if the United States implemented these rules for her male youth today, where would we be compared to other Nations around the world.” This stood out for me because that is a good questions. If Spartan rules were adapted into our government we would be a pure military nation. Many men would start training for the war at a young age, and most Americans will not have as much rights as we do now.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your topics, and can’t wait to read more.

Inaccurate

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 2012-09-06 16:02.

I have seen this post in my surfing of google. It is an uniformative piece to say the lest. The page has a many historical inaccuracies, granted they maybe small. The main one I noticed and quite a large one is the "The men from birth were carefully inspected by an elder. Analyzing if the child were to be deformed, or did not have physical traits of a warrior. If any child had a error they were left behind, or in other words killed them. " This is close who ever incorrect, they were not killed, however they were taken far from Sparta and left to die. I seem to remember being told by a historian that, they were expected if they showed the strength and the eldars were wrong, the baby would be strong enough to bring himself back to Sparta, he would be allowed to live. 

Dear Jeremy, Your post was

Submitted by noelvizcarrondo on Thu, 2014-02-27 11:45.

Dear Jeremy,
Your post was very intriguing as I enjoyed learning more about these legendary soldiers of history. I am very interested in the Spartans way of life myself as I enjoy history very much and especially enjoy learning about wars that have had a huge effect on the world and the history of mankind. The Spartans have especially become a huge point of interest for me after I read about the 300 Spartans and their stand against millions of Persian soldiers at the battle of Thermopylae. During their existence, the Spartan soldiers have demonstrated the honor, the fortitude, and the determination of a true soldier on and off the battlefield.

As you stated in your post, “Sparta was bred to believe that they were the descendants of Hercules (a half god, half mortal figure who represented invincible strength) himself.”, I found it astonishing how one could believe that they weren't descendants of the demigod, Hercules. With the amazing strength to carry on to the last breath to ensure the security of their city-state and its well-being, these soldiers were definitely one of kind. A kind that is probably extremely rare among the modern world.

Another statement you made that grabbed my attention was, “The article “Growing up in Sparta” written by Joe Emery was a very useful tool for my research on the Spartan way of life.” The article you read is something I would really like to look into to find out more about the Spartans and their way of life. Thank you for making this very interesting post as it is very good for others to know about these indomitable warriors and their way of life as well as their impact on the modern society.