Poverty in Ecuador

by: Dtoalongo

Lately, I’ve been talking to my sister about my country, Ecuador. She recently, finished college and is now a Social Worker. She wants to help out the poor in Ecuador and be able to construct some kind of shelter for them. Keeping this in mind, I want to know more about poverty in Ecuador. Ecuador is a poor country, most people don’t have enough income to support there families. Poverty in Ecuador has made it hard for people to survive that is why a lot of people migrate to the United States. The way government has run Ecuador is one of the main reasons to why Ecuador is a poor country. Ecuador has had a corrupt government and its economy is affected by it. People are paid very little and the government hasn’t really done anything to try to boost up the economy. Ecuadorians are not able to succeed even with a college degree because they are not able to find a job. For example, an Ecuadorian diploma is not accepted in the United States because Ecuadorian education is lower. There are many other reasons to why poverty exists in Ecuador which is making it difficult for the country prosper.

Looking at this map, I can see that there is a lot of poverty on the west side of the country.An article states that there is more poverty in the rural areas of the country. “Poverty is more pervasive in rural areas of Ecuador, affecting almost 70 percent of non-urban dwellers (2000).
Ecuador Poverty and wealth, Information about Poverty and wealth in Ecuador http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Ecuador-POVERTY-AND-WEALTH.html#ixzz1DZMMjNHU

As I researched about this topic, I wanted to know more about how it all started and the history of the economy in Ecuador. I found an article: Ecuador- Poverty and Wealth, http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Ecuador-POVERTY-AND-WEALTH.html. This article gave me information about why poverty exist in Ecuador. It talked about one main thing which was the distribution of wealth. Something that really caught my attention was: “Ecuador's population was burdened by an unequal distribution of wealth in the 1990s. In 1996 the wealthiest 20 percent of Ecuadorians earned half of the nation's total income, while the poorest 20 percent collected only 5 percent.” This seems to be the problem to why there is poverty in Ecuador. This is making it impossible for the poor to progress and make money. There is an unfair distribution of money among the different social classes. This made me feel that there is injustice in the country. People who are from low class work very hard yet they earn little money. Government should do something to stop this big gap between the poor and the wealthy.

In another article, Ecuador Poverty Assesment, Assessment,http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/COUNTRIES/LACEXT/0,,contentMDK:20415456~pagePK:146736~piPK:146830~theSitePK:258554,00.html, there was this one statement that made me nod in agreement with the writer. It was: “Poor growth and economic instability have crippled Ecuador's capacity to reduce poverty.” I think that this true because Ecuador’s economy does not remain stable. For example, Ecuador has adopted US dollars as their currency, making a new change to the value of products. Not much is grown in Ecuador to be exported and go out to other countries. I think that is important to take into consideration because the government needs to take charge of this to help reduce poverty in the country and make more jobs. It is all up to the government to help the country grow more and become prosperous.

The articles I found give me useful information to why the there is so much poverty in the country. All of this makes me think about what the government is doing to help the poor. Government needs to take some actions about it so that we can have a better tomorrow for the unfortunate.