Positive effects social media have on teens

Nowadays social media plays an important role in teenagers life. The vast majority of teenagers in the United States are daily social media users. There are countless of social networking sites that have created broad connections among teens. For example, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Skype, YouTube, and the like are used quite frequently. According to Shea Bennett, one out of every seven minutes spent online is on Facebook. But does social media have positive impact on teens? To me the answer is yes. For the vast majority of teens, the overall impact on social media has been positive (Rideout). Social media helps teens stay connected to each other even if they are a thousand miles away, and it keeps us up to date with what's going on around the world and so on. Social media has positive impact on teens in many ways.

Social media helps strengthen relationships among teens. Many people have friends who they have not seen since school, or who have moved away, and they want to stay connected with. They don't have to worry about losing touch, because social media has it covered. Through social media teens can stay connected with friends no matter the distance or time. Just by simply sending a friend request and accepting it, then starting a chat you can be easily be back in touch again. Social networks have provided people with the opportunity to connect with others and build better relationships with friends with whom we are unable to meet personally, and letting them know about our life and take input about their lives and events happening with them (Ali).

As an teenager it's also very important to understand what's going on around us rather than just knowing what's going with friends. According to the article "What Facebook and Twitter Mean for News." Nowadays teens receive digital news from social media sites rather than turning on news channel or reading newspaper. 70% of teens receive most of the news stories they read or watch via Facebook or Twitter. It's amazing how fast news spread on social networking sites. According to Amy Mitchell, "Facebook news users get more news from friends and family and see it as news they might well have gotten someplace else if Facebook did not exist. For Twitter users, though, the news links come from a more even mix of family and friends and news organizations. Most of these users also feel that without Twitter, they would have missed this kind of news". Thus, social media results in teens being more well-informed about national and global news than they would be otherwise.

Social media has become part of the modern teenage lifestyle. It makes our life so much easier and much more efficient. It has become an essential part of our communication culture that cannot be taken away easily, because we are so dependent on it. Without social media we wouldn't be able to connect with people the way we do now.

It also gives people a chance

Submitted by Elizabeth Marie on Fri, 2013-05-31 15:18.

It also gives people a chance to express themselves in ways that some many disapprove of in public places such as school, where people get judged by students or people who dont let you express yourself like TEACHERS , because if someone was to judge you on facebook, twitter,etc. you can always deleted them which many cant do in there lives out side of social media. It can also build self-esteem, if someone doesnt like who they are outside of social media they can always change that and become and new person. For someone who is shy around people ,in person, can also be a social butterfly online , which can also give them the confiendence to be like that in person and not be shy. Many Youtubers that are now internet famous got bullied and teased because of who they were, but they found something they love to do and stopped being the one that no one liked and started to be someone everyone LOVES. Social media can be a way out for many people who struggle in life, have no friends, or arent as social as everyone else. It gives them a chances to meet new people and find friends which they couldnt have done due to being shy and or nervous. Parents and teachers think all this bad stuff about social media,but behind closed doors its really changing peoples lives. xo_B.D.E_xo (Elizabeth)

Dear Yi-Ting Chung I am

Submitted by stieng on Tue, 2013-06-04 00:29.

Dear Yi-Ting Chung

I am impress by your post "Positive effects social media have on teens" because the things that teenagers do lately is go on those thing when their bored even they do homework i really agree with your post.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Social media helps teens stay connected to each other even if they are a thousand miles away, and it keeps us up to date with what's going on around the world and so on. Social media has positive impact on teens in many ways. " I think this is great because the people that stay connected with the people they may not know to an hundred miles you make a excellent point on that.

Another sentence that I pasted was: "Social media has become part of the modern teenage lifestyle. It makes our life so much easier and much more efficient." This stood out for me because without the social media the life wouldn't be easier for the people out there that used it a lot.

I do truly agree with you that without social media teenagers cant be without it for almost one day. One reason I say this is that the person who cant live without it is me and my family we are always on the social media to see whats going on. Another reason I agree with you is people without these thing cannot get it or that don't know how to use it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you make this a very interesting thing to read and that it really true to the world.

Dear Yi-Ting Chung I was glad

Submitted by sgalvan on Tue, 2013-06-04 23:49.

Dear Yi-Ting Chung
I was glad that you brought this kind of issue. Because nowadays Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube , Instagram and other social networks, has really big impact around society and especially for most teenagers life. As you said on your writing that it says, "social media helps strengthen relationships among teens". I agree on your statement that social media help people across the country or world to have a strong communication to each other through media, and yes it really help them connect with one another although how far they are they would still keep in touch because of the social networking they had that allows people to have a conversation with multiple people. But somehow I also disagree to it, I think it has also a negative aspects thought the society and peoples lives. For Instance some social media like Facebook and twitter had the most negative effects because a lot of people or some of them is taking advantage other peoples information and privacy. Then it lead to misunderstand to each other through virtual comment or because of something they post which lead them to hate that person and become enemies. Therefore not all social media really help us that much but also sometimes it ruins other people lives. So for the whole idea of social media I was in the middle. Though thank you for bringing this up and I'm looking forward to read more about your ideas:)