Positive Effects On Social Media

by: Jr27137

I believe that their is a postitive affect in social media because it builds up confidence and allows people to stay organized and in the loop. It has been around since the 80's. In an interesting DM article apparently 30 million of us who use the internet visit social networking websites such as Myspace, Facebook, and Bebo. Social media can also help find a missing person.

The first reason social media has helped is because it lets you stay in touch with friends and family. You can get to know other students at your school or stay connected with other people who share a common interest. It also helps strengthen long distance relationships. For example, I have a friend whose parents got divorced and his dad lives far away from him. He said, "The only way we can communicate is through facebook". I personally think facebook is a neat website that can help with communication. In the article "Teens in Survey Paint Positive Picture of Effect of Social Media on Their lives" I read that "Half of teens said social networks have helped their friendship" and I also agree with this.

The second reason that it has helped is that it keeps us up to date with what's going on. A reporter from a social media article stated that "Many teens express an almost-like wearness with the pressures of constant texting and posting involved in their lives". People post and text online to express themselves. I talked to my sister this morning, and asked her how social media has helped her in life and she said "It provides me reminders for meets or practices for cross country". I thought that was really intersting and I also believe it helps teachers with things like that too. Since theyre always busy and forget things I think they need some kind of reminder to remind them.

Finally, the third reason that social media has helped is that it makes you feel less lonely or if you're not having a good day talking to your friends online can change your mood for the day. In the same social media article it said, "Many teenagers say that using social networking sites makes them feel more confident, popular, out going, and sympathetic to others". So this is why social media is helpful for your life and others.

Most parents I know and some teachers think social media has a negative perspective on it thinking it's just a waste of time. But in cases like having communication with far away relatives, getting reminders or just by expressing yourself can bring a postive effort in your life style.

Pleasing Post

Submitted by mahkim on Thu, 2013-04-11 10:38.

Dear Jazmin:

I am pleased with your post, "Positive Effects On Social Media," because you wrote about a topic that I have been interested in for a while. I even wrote my own personal inquiry post on this topic which I will be uploading to Youth Voices soon.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Finally, the third reason that social media has helped is that it makes you feel less lonely or if you're not having a good day talking to your friends online can change your mood for the day." I think this is interesting because when I wrote my post I focused on all the negative effects of the media. In addition to this, I only focused on television and magazines. I didn’t touch on social medias, which I used daily. This made me realize that the media isn’t as bad as I thought it was and it can be very beneficial.

Another part I found intriguing was: "The second reason that it has helped is that it keeps us up to date with what's going on...Since they’re always busy and forget things I think they need some kind of reminder to remind them." This stood out for me because I didn’t think of this until now. I use social media for this reason very often and it has tremendously helped me. I was so caught up in the negative effects of social media that I forgot to consider the positive effects which may or may not outweigh the negative ones. I do agree with you that social media builds awareness and provides easy access to your friends and family. However, there are some negative effects of the media. Some of these effects include violence, lack of self confidence, unstable households and misunderstanding of the real world. The media is more than social networks; its the television shows people watch and envy the life shown in it, its the movies that show teens that fate exists and that our life should be like a fairytale, its the magazines that show nothing but drama and the latest news people so desperately follow up on. These things can not only physically damage someone but it can emotionally damage them as well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you supported your claims not only with other works of literature and personal knowledge but the experiences of other individuals as well. Also, your writing made me think and made me second guess if my post and thoughts were inaccurate or incorrect.

Positive Affects of Social Networking

Submitted by Brittany on Wed, 2013-05-15 14:29.

Hey Jasmine,

My name is Brittany and I have to say that i agree with alot of your points. Your article really helped me find some good points for my debate on whether social media has a negative impact on society or is it has a positive impact on society.

Sincerely,

Brittany