Mystical Raven

by: cniegos

Raven is a large heavily built crow with mainly black plumage, feeding chiefly on carrion. It has long been considered a bird of ill omen and of interest to creators of myths and legends. Raven is considered both negative and positive in every beliefs of every places. But mostly, raven is known for being bad and they have an aura of negativity because of the color and sound of it.

Based on my research, In many Western traditions, ravens have long been considered to be birds of ill omen. The was part because of the negative symbolism of their all-black plumage. In Sweden, ravens are known as the ghosts of murdered people, and in Germany as the souls of the damned. In Danish folklore, a Valravn that ate a king's heart gained human knowledge, could perform great malicious acts, could lead people astray, had superhuman powers, and were "terrible animals". In contrast, many indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast of North America and northeast Asia revered it as a god. In Tlingit and Haida cultures, Raven was both a Trickster and Creator god. Black, to Native Americans, is a color of magical power, and only to be feared if misused. Raven symbolizes the void - the mystery of that which is not yet formed. Ravens are symbolic of the Black Hole in Space, which draws in all energy toward itself and releases it in new forms. The iridescent blue and green that can be seen in the glossy black feathers of the raven represents the constant change of forms and shapes that emerge from the vast blackness of the void. In Native American tradition, Raven is the guardian of both ceremonial magic and healing circles. She is also the patron of smoke signals.