Hmong Organizations

by: cniegos

The Hmong have remained identifiable as Hmong because they have maintained their own language, customs, and ways of life while adopting the ways of the country in which they live. In order to keep their cultural beliefs some non-profitable organizations try to uplift Hmong culture and help Hmong community.

The first organization that I’m going to talk about is the Hmong Health Collaborative that was conducted from 2005 to 2008. The goal of the Hmong Health Collaborative organization is to strengthen the health and well-being of the Hmong Community in California by improving access to quality health care and advocating for better cross-cultural interactions between Hmong culture and Western medicine. There is no word for “advocate” in the Hmong language. The traditional Hmong culture has a system of healthcare is way different from Western medicine. Hmong refugees being relocate in California in 2004-2005, cross-cultural conflicts between healthcare providers and Hmong refugees became a well-documented yet ignored issue. Cultural and lingual differences between these two cultures have led to complicated interactions, at times with tragic results.

The second organization is the National Hmong American Farmers which started in 2003, NHAF is a non-profit organization whose mission is to preserve Hmong-American farm culture by promoting economic self-sufficiency for Hmong-American and other immigrant and ethnically discriminated farmers. They provide services to independent farmers throughout the country, with special focus on California’s Central Valley farmers, who may have limited access to government programs. They believe that the success of small farmers is a benefit to us all. NHAF encourages maintaining a healthy planet through culturally and environmentally friendly farming.

This are some of the organizations that made Hmong society here in California into a greater good and it is beneficial not only for Hmong community but also for the American. I hope more Hmong organizations will be made in the future that provide the needs of the Hmong community and maintain their cultural activities and beliefs.

props to you for being able

Submitted by kruss on Wed, 2016-03-02 22:40.

props to you for being able to find the Hmong organizations because I couldn't find any. These are really important groups and really help the Hmong people, which is great.

Well done on finding good

Submitted by tewilliams on Mon, 2016-03-07 02:37.

Well done on finding good organizations to talk about. Maybe more information of what the Hmong community struggles and what they face to need organizations as such. well done.