Emotional appeals in Public Health

by: cniegos

An emotional appeal is used to sway the emotions of an audience to make them support the speaker's argument. Attempt through the use of emotion in order to persuade people, community, corporations and etc. to achieve an issue you want to oppose or a counter argument over the issue in terms of emotional appeal. The emotional appeal was used long before hundred of years in courts and certain events to appeal a certain argument or an issue characterized by the use of loaded language and concepts. In an emotional appeal, persuasive language which uses interesting support ideas and changes listener’s feelings and perspective. It is used to develop the reason of an appeal to emotion-based arguments instead of facts.

In Public Health, emotional appeal get used often in health campaign to let people see the risk or benefit of certain behaviors such as smoking, alcohol and drugs and more public health campaigns. Many of the issues were awareness campaigns shown publicly through advertisements, magazines, programs and other things to catch people’s attention and judgement. For example, the drinking and smoking campaign you see in advertisements in televisions and computers which show how smoking and drinking can impact people’s lives severely both mental and physical ways. In advertisements, they used strong words and images that ties with campaign to show viewers especially teenagers that it’s a bad habit to smoke and drink alcohol. It’s a prevention to keep viewers away from these bad habits and try to stop people from addiction before it is too late.

In my own perspective, emotional appeals in public health can affect more in a positive way to people’s lives. Not only it gives informations about the outlook of the issue of the campaign but also it is a way to remind people and be mindful about the campaign’s perspective to advocate them not to risk their life doing irrelevant things in life.

You gave a lot of good

Submitted by erinsleater on Fri, 2016-04-08 10:45.

You gave a lot of good background information to develop your argument and make your writing credible. You had a strong ending expressing your opinion as well.

I think that you have an

Submitted by Douglas Gosselin on Fri, 2016-04-08 10:54.

I think that you have an impressive start and provide good evidence and structure for your topic. Great introduction and conclusion.

Hi

Submitted by charissaboniface on Fri, 2016-04-08 13:18.

You made a lot of strong arguments. I agree that emotional appeals are very successful and beneficial to people's health. Your example of the drinking and smoking advertisements is a very good example. When I think of strong emotional appeals I think of the smoking commercial that really encourages people to not smoke because it does harm.

Well Written!

Submitted by dominiquebird on Mon, 2016-04-11 10:28.

I liked your post about emotional appeals not only because it was well presented but also because it's fascinating. The mind is so malleable and it absorbs any type of information you let flow through it, hence why advertisements are effective. I think your examples are concrete and supported, they give the reader a clear understanding of your opinions and the subject itself. Great post!

Emotional involvement is very

Submitted by Apowell16 on Mon, 2016-04-11 14:11.

Emotional involvement is very influential in all advertisements. I liked the details you gave about the drug and alcohol campaigns and how the images they show are repulsive to potential users. This was very well written.

I liked the way that you

Submitted by Mthomsen on Thu, 2016-04-14 14:07.

I liked the way that you explained what an emotional appeal was and how emotion appeals were relevant throughout. Adding more examples of "strong words and images" would help to strengthen your point. I think it would also be interesting to talk about how emotional appeals can be used for negative purposes. It is very possible for emotional appeals to be used negatively in something like advertisements by targeting insecurities.