Ebonics

by: cniegos

Ebonics came from the ebony word which means a very hard dark wood of a tropical tree, used especially for making furniture. The ebony ties with ebonics because of the connection of the word of definition and it means 'black speech' (a blend of the words ebony 'black' and phonics 'sounds'). Based on my research of linguistic society of America, the term was created in 1973 by a group of black scholars who disliked the negative connotations of terms like 'Nonstandard Negro English' that had been invented in the 1960s when the first modern large-scale linguistic studies of African American speech-communities began. The term Ebonics never caught on among linguists, much less among the general public but that’s all changed with the 'Ebonics' controversy of December 1996 when the Oakland School Board recognized it as the 'primary' language of its majority African American students and resolved to take it into account in teaching them standard or academic English. Scholars who favor the alternatives like African American language wish to highlight the African roots of African American speech and its connections with languages spoken elsewhere of diaspora.

Some set of examples that come to mind are slang words like phat 'excellent' and bling-bling 'glittery, expensive jewelry', words that are popular among teenagers and young adults, especially rap and hip hop fans. In the research, Ebonics pronunciation includes features like the omission of the final consonant in words like 'past' (pas' ) and 'hand' (han'), the pronunciation of the th in 'bath' as t (bat) or f (baf), and the pronunciation of the vowel in words like 'my' and 'ride' as a long ah (mah, rahd). Some Ebonics pronunciations are more unique, for instance, dropping b, d, or g at the beginning of auxiliary verbs like 'don't' and 'gonna', yielding Ah 'on know for "I don't know" and ama do it for "I'm going to do it." African American Vernacular English' (AAVE) or African American English (AAE) are slang words that are used before and even until now. It’s most profound idea by African scholars long before that are still being used today particularly by youth and adults which whom they inspired by hip hop and etc. Some people think that there’s advantages and disadvantages of slang words that were made but as for me, it’s like another figurative language that being used to articulate words which can be share by everyone based on what people understand.