American Dream

by: cniegos

American Dream is the ideal that every US citizen should have an equal rights and opportunity to achieve success and prosperity through hard work, determination, and initiative. This whole term that was used is totally a lie. Many US citizen disagree with this terminology because not everybody have equal opportunity and rights when it comes to career and basically life. American Dream wasn’t meant for everyone.

First, I interviewed my uncle Marco. He owned a liquor store and worked by himself. For him, he have sort of living in the American Dream world. He had a fine job, normal living and can afford financial needs. But in order to achieve his dream and obtain his career in life he needed to give up his personal happiness. By his definition of the term American Dream he said that, having a American Dream you need to have a stable life such as a place to live, steady job, and buying things that you always have dream in life.

Second, I interviewed my friend Peter and his an adult. He said that he thinks that his living in the American Dream. He have a good place to live where he felt safe and satisfied. He also have good resource of food to eat and thankful that he's in good health. He lived with good opportunities were he have ways to make money and have companions that always there for him. For him, American Dream is a freedom where he could do what he want to do such as freedom to speak his mind, work in a better place, travel around the world, and meet new different people.

Third, I interviewed my other Brian and his an adult. He doesn’t feel living in the American Dream world because the American Dream is mostly centered around material things. Personally, he is more interested in spiritual understanding. By this mean, American Dream is about owning your home, driving expensive cars, taking luxurious vacations and general speaking accumulating expensive things that are impressive to strangers.

Fourth, I interviewed my uncle Richard. He worked in a business world and have a wife and two children. He somewhat living in the American Dream. He said that there’s a limitation in American society that sometimes some people can achieve. He felt that in many ways he lived in the American Dream because of the success of his career that he got and he have such a wonderful family who always there for him. What it means living in the American Dream for him is one that allows that all people would have access and ability to achieve their career and financial longing that meets their desire. But, he said that he doesn’t feel that he's unable to reach the financial level of expectations he thought of about his life and his family.

Every person that I’ve been interviewed has their own interpretations of living in the American Dream. Each of them has their own level of satisfaction living in the American Dream. In order to achieve your dream, you need to sacrifice things that you don't have resulting to a long term success by any chance. Taking risk will help you gain strength and more opportunities. American Dream isn’t real because many people are still struggling and can’t afford their necessities. There’s nothing dreamlike about how Americans perceive the American Dream.

I really like the stories

Submitted by kruss on Sat, 2015-11-14 17:22.

I really like the stories that you told. These open eyes to how much sacrifice people are willing to make in order to live their dream.

I enjoyed reading your

Submitted by nmafi on Sat, 2016-01-02 16:19.

I enjoyed reading your stories and I especially liked that you said you must make risks in order to reach your goals. Many who want the American Dream don't want to change so that's why they don't ever see change happening.

i agree

aly's picture
Submitted by aly on Mon, 2016-01-11 01:41.

Sacrifices are made so something other dream or goal can be achieved. Not everyone can get the best of both worlds because there are other people that also want what you want. The American dream depends on person to person so yea I agree with you that you do need to sacrifice things.

I also agree that people have

Submitted by lmiller on Tue, 2016-01-12 20:11.

I also agree that people have to make sacrifices to get where they want. If they don't try hard, they will not accomplish anything.

I love how you managed to

Submitted by yselvin on Wed, 2016-01-13 01:04.

I love how you managed to interview people who each had a different perspective on whether or not they feel they're living the American Dream. After interviewing,did you ever think about if you will ever live your version of the American Dream?